Archive | Crime RSS for this section

Men jailed after subjecting taxi driver to robbery ordeal

BurrowsMacdonald montageA taxi driver was left afraid to go back to work after he was attacked and robbed by two men and a teenage girl in Woodhouse Park, Wythenshawe.

Samuel Burrows, aged 21, of no fixed address was jailed for three years and six months and Calvin Macdonald aged 20 of Stoneacre Road, Wythenshawe was jailed for two years, both for robbery.

The 16-year-old girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons,  received a 12-month referral order and was ordered to pay £250 in compensation for robbery and assaulting a police officer.

The driver was punched and kicked and attacked with a bottle. Detective Constable Mark Ledger of GMP’s City of Manchester Team, said: “This has been really difficult for the victim in this case who was subject to such a harrowing attack that he may never emotionally recover. Read More…

Advertisements

Man taken to hospital with head injuries after collision with motorbike in Brooklands

Screenshot_2017-09-04-12-02-54Police are investigating an incident in Brooklands yesterday when a man was left left with serious head injuries following a collision with a motorcycle.

In a statement issued last night, Greater Manchester Police said: “Officers were first called to Ferndown Road at around 6.15pm  after a motorcyclist knocked down a pedestrian. The man who was hit suffered serious head injuries and was taken to hospital. Ferndown Road was shut while officers worked at the scene.”

The man had been on the pavement when he was hit by the motorbike. The biker fled the scene.

Ferndown Road was cordoned between it’s junctions with Altrincham Road and Wythenshawe Road for about two hours, while paramedics treated the injured man an police carried out inquiries.

 

Wythenshawe toddler death inquiry “truly distressing”

Screenshot_2017-08-30-09-38-09Police investigating the death of a toddler in Wythenshawe have described the inquiry as “truly distressing”.

A post-mortem examination found the boy, who was found dead at a house in Beaford Road on Sunday , died of multiple stab wounds.

A man and woman left the house to go to hospital before police arrived.

A woman, aged 30, arrested on suspicion of murder remains in hospital, said police. A 31-year-old man also arrested on suspicion of murder has been released without charge.

Formal identification has taken place and the boy’s family are being supported by specially-trained officers, said police.

Det Insp Carl Jones of Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said: “The family wish for their privacy to be respected at this time and I’d ask that people do not speculate around the boy’s identity to allow them to grieve and come to terms with this tragedy.

“We have one person under arrest, but need those who have not yet passed on information to come forward.”

The police force has referred itself to the Independent Police Complaints Commission as it had previously been called to the property according to the BBC.

Woman in court charged with murder of Wythenshawe man

Screenshot_2017-08-30-08-52-32A woman has appeared in court in connection with the death of a man in Wythenshawe.

Michelle Ingham, aged 46, of Maismore Road, Wythenshawe, appeared before magistrates in Manchester charged with the murder of 47-year-old Kai Gareth Prothero.

Mr Prothero was found dead at a house in Maismore Road on Thursday August 24. Ingham was remanded in custody.

Arsonist jailed for Wythenshawe Hall “mindless attack”

Jeremy TaylorA Baguley man who caused millions of pounds worth of damage to historic Wythenshawe Hall in an arson attack has been jailed.
Jeremy Taylor, aged 28, of Hall Lane, Baguley was sentenced today to four-and-half-years after setting fire to the Grade II list building last March

He previously pleaded guilty to arson.

The court heard how shortly before 3.30am on Tuesday 15 March 2016, Taylor used newspaper and matches to start five separate fires around the Tudor manor.

One of these locations was right in front of the oak entrance door which caused the majority of the estimated £5 million worth of damage.

Firefighters tackled the blaze for hours before being able to bring it under control.

No one was injured but a large part of the roof and upper floor of the timber-framed 16th century home was sadly destroyed.

Inspector Luke Breakspear from GMP’s City of Manchester Team, said: “This was a mindless act that intended to destroy a historical building that has great significance to the people of Wythenshawe.

“People were shocked by the needless damage caused to a piece of our local and national heritage. Wythenshawe is a great place to live, work and visit and the strong community spirit is testament to this.

“Taylor’s senseless actions could have taken an innocent life and I am just thankful no one was hurt.

“I would like to thank our colleagues at Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service for stopping the fire spreading and causing more damage as well as their support throughout this investigation.

“I hope the community feel that justice has been served today and I am satisfied that Taylor is now where he deserves to be.

“Wythenshawe Hall is a beautiful building and hopefully in the near future we will see it open its doors again to the people of Manchester.”

Contaminated blood inquiry: “People should go to jail” says Wythenshawe victim

16701439376_6112956332_qA public inquiry into contaminated blood leading to the deaths of thousands of people has been welcomed by a Wythenshawe victim who has called for perpetrators to be jailed over the scandal.

A recent parliamentary report found that  about 7,500 patients, who had been given blood transfusions were infected by imported blood products contaminated with plasma from donors including prison inmates in the US, who sold their blood.

More than 2,400 people have died from Hepatitis and HIV caused by the blood contamination.

As previously reported by the Wythenshawe Reporter, two of the victims are Fred Bates and Peter Mossman, both from Wythenshawe.

And  the government has announced a public inquiry will be launched to get to the bottom of the cause of the scandal more than 30 years ago, described as the worst treatment disaster in the history of the NHS. Read More…

UPDATE: Re Police appeal for information about Wythenshawe woman missing since Sunday night

19424495_1700851249955316_3321737653819129518_nUPDATE: Gail Simpson has now been found safe and well.

Police are concerned about a woman who has been missing from her home in Wythenshawe since Sunday.

Gail Simpson, aged 32  was last seen at 7-46pm on Sunday 25th June 2017 leaving Roundthorn Metrolink Station in Wythenshawe.

She is described as being white, medium build, 5’4” tall with long brown hair tied up in a pony tail. She was last seen wearing a white & black blouse, black jeans, black jacket and black boots.

Gail has not been in contact with her family since Sunday evening and she did not turn up to work on Monday morning.

Police said: “They are understandably very worried about Gail as this is very out of character for her. We know that she had been for a drink in Chorlton before getting the Metrolink to Roundthorn.”

Anyone with information should contact the police on 101 and quote incident log 1043 of 26/6/17.

%d bloggers like this: